Friday, July 24, 2009

2 1/2 Week Update

I can't believe we've been home 2 1/2 weeks. Wow, how time flies!! Is it bad that I feel like a stranger on my own blog? I am backlogged with photos to post, so this one is going to be full. You know, I have to post for the Grandmas. :)

Kara is doing great. We continue to have occassional small issues - mostly stemming from the inability to communicate, which leads to misunderstanding - but she is doing amazingly well. She really is a sweet, smart and happy girl. I am still working on adjusting to life with three kids, but each day seems to get better. The jealousy issues have probably been toughest, as they are all trying to get my undivided attention and it's impossible to hold three seperate conversations at once, although they believe that I should be capable of doing so.

Here are some highlights from the past two weeks:
(By the way, I have really had problems with Flickr tonight. Please let me know if any of the photos aren't posting.)
- The girls finished the five-day evening soccer camp at our church and had such a great time. Leila has had three weeks of competitive soccer camp this summer, but this camp was all about the girls having fun and playing the sport - no matter what their skill level. And the coach and his daughters (one pictured below) were just amazing. Kara absolutely loved having a soccer camp to go to every night.



Foster Family Letter (4 of 1)-15

Foster Family Letter (4 of 1)-13

Foster Family Letter (4 of 1)-12

- Nolan and Leila go to the driving range most weekends and he has taken Kara three times since returning home. While Kara hit balls, she kept an eye on Leila during her lessons and imitated what the instructor showed Leila, thus improving her swing in such a short time. Even though she doesn't understand the words, she is great at paying attention to the details and trying to mimic things herself. The instructor spent 15-minutes with Kara last weekend and decided that she could understand enough by watching and repeating the motions, that she and Leila can start sharing lessons. Kara is very excited about this, and this is a great bonding thing for Nolan and the two older girls to do. We all five headed there on Sunday after church, so even Mia got to join in.



Foster Family Letter (4 of 1)-2

Foster Family Letter (4 of 1)-3

Foster Family Letter (4 of 1)

Foster Family Letter (4 of 1)-4

- The girls had swim lessons all week. Leila moved up to a level 7, and Kara and Mia each swim a short distance before they start sinking. All three girls love the water. Kara and Mia continue with private lessons next week, so hopefully they will be swimming on their own soon.

- We went back to the splash park today to meet up with Mia's China play group. I think the big girls like Mia's little friends just as much as Mia does. :)


Foster Family Letter (4 of 1)-6

Foster Family Letter (4 of 1)-7

- Kara's ESL classes seem to be going really well. I am really glad we decided to call in some experts on this, as it will be a tremendous help to get her prepared for school - in less than five weeks! Yikes!!

- The girls have VBS next week. I can't wait to see how Kara does. I really think she is going to like it - especially the singing and dancing part. She loves to sing and dance! I can't wait until she can understand the real message, though.


Foster Family Letter (4 of 1)-9

That's all for now.... Have a great weekend!

12 comments:

day by day said...

Thanks for the update, Michelle!! The girls all look so happy and just beautiful!! I know what you mean about the attention thing...sometimes I try to figure out how I can duplicate myself...one for each of my 4 kids. lol!

Have a great week-end!!

love,
Michelle

Ohilda said...

Michelle....

The girls are just beautiful. I am amazing (and really shouldn't be) at how God fit Kara perfectly into your life.

I, too, strugge with the 3 conversations (sometimes 4) at once, but after a while, you learn to stop each one and give them a time constraint to tell me "their story". :)

a Tonggu Momma said...

I love hearing an update from y'all when you can! And the golfing lesson and pictures were a popular read in our house (the husband walked past, then read over my shoulder - he is the only male in his family to NOT work in the golfing industry). Glad to hear things are going as well as they are... except for the fact that you somehow need to grow another set of ears. Heh.

Sherri said...

Great update!! Love the pictures as always. What is your theme to VBS? We did Crocodile Dock and it was so much fun, ours just ended last night with a family meal.

Anonymous said...

Oh - I can't tell you how wonderful it is to see you all as a family (although where is that first entire family photo)!!! Kara has joy in every picture and Leila and Mia are beautiful as usual. I especially loved your littlest monkey's ruffled bikini:)

Prayers, for you friend, continue as you master being a mom to three and bond even more as a family of five!

Blessings and Hugs, Ashley

Missy said...

Ok, it's confirmed...We must meet someday! Paige would LOVE your girls and I just love you to death : ) Any little girl that loves to dance, play golf and swim is a girl after our heart!

Glad things continue to go well! Mia, Leila and Kara are such beautiful little treasures!

De Lucchi Family Treasures said...

Kara looks so happy!! It is a huge change going from 2 to 3 so give yourself a pat on the back you are doing amazingly well.
Love and prayers
Jules
xxx

Jboo said...

Great photos -- so glad that it is going well! Take care.

Janet

Chasing Dreams Photography said...

Michelle thank you for the update!!! Looks like everyone is adjustment very well. The pictures are just wonderful : ) everyone looks so happy and healthy...
{{{hug}}

Kathy said...

Hi Michelle,
I found your blog while researching adopting older kids. Your 3 girls are beautiful, and I enjoy reading your stories! I am currently the mom of Sophia, age 5, Jiangxi Province, and waiting for PA for Guan Qian, age 11, Yunnan Province. My LID was 4/07. I got tired of waiting, looked at the waiting child list, and fell in love with my daughter! It's so far from my original plan, but I am very happy and excited! My concerns with adopting an older child...1. Will she want to leave her foster family and live with us?
2. Communication 3. Adopting out of birth order. Thanks for sharing your stories and photos, and congrats on your newest family member!

mommy24treasures said...

oh so glad all is well...

Tami and Bobby Sisemore Family said...

loved all the pictures :) You have a beautiful family :)

Blessings,
TAmi
PRAYING Jeremiah home Quickly
www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com